Kale. Did you know about this dark green vegetable 5 years ago? Maybe you did. I hope so! But, if you didn’t, you probably do now.
It has become quite the favored little treat.
Yes, I consider kale a treat.
In light of its popularity, let’s plan a party around it. Invite your friends, your co-workers, your in-laws… Let’s have a Kale Party!
Your table could feature: Kale and lemons in old canning jars, mismatched vintage china (totally ok if it’s chipped or imperfect – it has a story), a burlap table runner, rust or dark green napkins, heavy silverware, hand cut wine glasses, large antique bowls and serving platters, and cast-iron soup pots and skillets. Simple, rustic elegance.
Here are some menu ideas for your first Kale Party:
Appetizer/Snack for your guests to munch on while you (calmly) finish any last minute preparations – Spicy Kale Chips
Salad – Massaged Kale Salad
Main Dish – Minestrone Soup
Bread – Kale and Cheddar Flat Bread
Dessert – Vegan Kale Spice Cake
Drinks – Apple Cider, Red Wine
This party is going to be such a hit that you’re going to have other friends dying to be invited to your next one.
Second Kale Party:
Appetizer/Snack – Spicy Kale Chips
Salad – Massaged Kale Salad
Main Dish – Spaghetti and Meatballs
Bread – Kale Pesto Braided Bread
Dessert – Chocolate Kale Cake with Sea Salt
Drinks – Red Wine, Mint Iced Tea, Tart Lemonade
Since you’re now totally in love with kale, and you really want to continue the Kale Party tradition, you’ll probably want to add a Kale Brunch to your list of things to do:
Main – Savory French Toast
Main – Mushroom Frittata with Kale
Side – Crispy Potatoes
Side – Wilt ‘Em Greens
Bread – Kale Apple Muffins
I’ve just scratched the surface here. There are so many things you can do with kale. I mean, really, I’d be happy with some raw kale drizzled with excellent olive oil, a squeeze of lemon, a dash of cayenne, and a sprinkle of grated parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Serve that with a side of Crispy Potatoes and I’d gladly call it dinner. (Great, now I’m hungry. And I’m wishing we were having this for dinner tonight instead of the Spaghetti that I have planned…)
I think that you will most definitely agree that kale is a wonderful thing. Go call your friends… it’s time for a Kale Party!
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 1-2 T garlic infused (or regular) olive oil
- 1 onion, diced or chopped
- 1/2 C black spanish radish (or other kind of radish), peeled and grated
- 2 T balsamic vinegar
- 1 t maple syrup
- 1 t dijon mustard
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/4 t pepper
- pinch nutmeg
- pinch cayenne
- 3 C spinach, roughly chopped or torn (could also use swiss chard, collard greens, beet greens, or any other greens you love)
- 3 C kale, roughly chopped or torn (any kind of kale)
- 1 1/2 C radicchio, chopped
- 1/4 C roasted almonds, roughly chopped (for topping)
- Place bacon in cold pan, cook until crispy. Remove with slotted spoon and set on a paper towel to drain.
- Either discard bacon grease from pan and add 2 T olive oil, or leave about 1 T bacon grease and add 1 T olive oil. Heat and add onion and radish. Cook 3-5 minutes, or until softened, over medium heat.
- Remove stems from greens, wash well, and dry.
- Add vinegar, maple syrup, dijon, and seasonings to the onion pan. Stir, then add all the radicchio and some of the greens, wilting down and tossing, then adding more greens and repeating until they are all gone. Turn the heat down to medium-low.
- Once all greens are wilted, taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Serve topped with bacon and almonds.