At a Glance- Recipes Inspired by the Box:
Gluten free/Paleo/Grain-Free- Albondigas Soup Reinvented
Breakfast -Fried Eggs in Bell Pepper Frame
Super Salads -Landry’s Raw Kale Salad with Thai Basil and Black Mission Figs
Seasonal Favorites – Slow-Cooked Pork Chops with Spiced Honey and Grapes
Amuse Bouche -Fresh Herb and Dried Tomato Bruschetta
One Pot Wonder – Potato and Cauliflower Casserole
Albondigas Soup Reinvented
Photo and recipe courtesy of Jen Johnston
- 2 Tbsp. ghee or clarified butter
- 2 medium leeks or 1 large onion, sliced or chopped
- 2 green garlic shoots, sliced
- 3 quarts beef stock or water
- ½ C salsa of choice (make sure it’s *clean* if you are on a special diet)
- 5 large carrots, sliced into ½” rounds
- 4 celery stalks, cut into ½” pieces
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- ⅔ C raw cauliflower, finely chopped
- 2 raw eggs
- ¼ C raw parsley, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. cumin
- 2 Tbsp. dried oregano
- 3 tsp. sea salt
- ⅛ tsp. cayenne pepper
- black pepper and sea salt, to taste
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- creme fraiche or sour cream
- avocado, diced
- Heat ghee in a large stock pot over medium heat. If you are extremely sensitive to dairy, use olive or avocado oil.
- Sauté onion and/or leeks until tender.
- Add green garlic and sauté for 1 more minute.
- Pour in beef stock and/or water equaling 3 qts.
- Stir in salsa.
- Bring to a boil, skimming off any foam that rises. Reduce heat to a simmer.
- Add carrots and celery.
- Process cauliflower in a food processor until the consistency of small rice grains.
- Mix the meat, eggs, cauliflower, cumin, oregano, sea salt and cayenne pepper in a mixing bowl by hand or with a Kitchenaid using the white beater blade.
- Using a cookie scoop or your hands, form 1-inch meatballs and drop them one-by-one into the soup pot.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
Garnish options are chopped cilantro, creme fraiche or sour cream, and diced avocado.
Fried Eggs in Bell Pepper Frame
- Bell Pepper
- Grated Cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Slice bell peppers ¼ to ½ in thick to make rounds. Any color pepper will do.
- Place the rounds in an oiled sauté pan.
- Crack your egg and drop into round frame.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook to desired doneness. Sprinkle with grated cheese.
Landry’s Raw Kale Salad with Thai Basil and Black Mission Figs
Photo and recipe courtesy of Burbank Subscriber, Landry
- 1 Head Curly Kale
- 5 Black Mission Figs
- 1-2 Tomatoes
- 1/3 cup Pine Nuts
- Leaves of 3 Sprigs Thai Basil
- 1/4 cup Tahini
- Juice of 2 Limes
- 1 Clove Garlic
- Wash, de-stem, and massage kale leaves, then chop leaves to desired size.
- Chop tomatoes and figs into bite sized pieces.
- For the dressing, blend all ingredients in a food processor or blender until smooth.
- Toss all ingredients together in a salad bowl and enjoy!
Slow-Cooked Pork Chops with Spiced Honey and Grapes
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 3 lbs thick cut pork chops or boneless spareribs
- 4 Tbsp flour
- 1 ½ cups red or black grapes
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken in half
- 3-5 whole cloves
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Melt butter in frying pan over med. high heat.
- Dust pork with flour and brown slowly in the melted butter.
- Put pork in slow cooker with remaining ingredients. Cook on low for 6-8 hours and serve hot.
- Preheat oven to 325º.
- Using a lidded sauté pan or casserole, brown meat per slow cooker directions.
- Remove pan from heat and set pork aside.
- Stir remaining ingredients into pan drippings and place meat back in pan or casserole dish.
- Cover and bake in the oven for 50-60 minutes or until pork is tender. Serve hot.
Fresh Herb and Dried Tomato Bruschetta
Recipe and Photo courtesy of DeMaCuisine.com
- 16-24 slices baguette
- 1 t olive oil
- pinch salt
- 1 pint sized jar dried tomatoes, chopped
- 2 T fresh basil, chopped
- 1 t fresh savory, chopped
- (oregano could also be added)
- ¼ C olive oil (use the oil from the tomatoes)
- 1 clove garlic (from tomatoes), minced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- to taste, salt
- to taste, pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 350F (I used the toaster/convection oven).
- Drizzle baguette with a bit of olive oil, sprinkle with salt. Toast for about 10-15 minutes, or until crispy and slightly browned.
- Combine tomato through pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Top toasted baguette slices with tomato mixture.
One Pot Wonder
Potato and Cauliflower Casserole
- 2 large potatoes, peeled & chopped
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Lightly grease a medium casserole dish.
- Boil potatoes until tender but still firm. Drain and set aside.
- Place cauliflower in a steamer basket and steam for 5 minutes, until tender but firm.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat, and whisk in the flour.
- Gradually stir in the heavy cream until thickened.
- Remove from heat and mix in ½ cup Swiss cheese until melted. Season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange potatoes and cauliflower in dish.
- Pour the cream sauce over veggies and sprinkle with remaining Swiss cheese.
- Bake 20 minutes, until bubbly and light brown.